Sunday, March 25, 2007

Remembrance of injury...John XIII

In reference to Judas' betrayal of Christ St. John Chrysostom says:
"These things are written that we bear not malice toward those who injure us; but rebuke them and weep for them; for the fit subjects of weeping are not they who suffer, but they who do the wrong."

St. John starts with Christ's betrayal by Judas and concludes with the example of Joseph as someone who, before Grace and even before the Law, did not cling to remembrance of injury to himself.

"What excuse shall we have, if after the Law, and after grace, and after the addition of so much heavenly wisdom, we do not even strive to rival him who lived before grace and before the Law? Who shall deliver us from punishment? For there is nothing, there is nothing more grievous than the remembrance of injuries."

I was struck by this phrase:"for the fit subjects of weeping are not they who suffer, but they who do the wrong."

It reminds me of the story of a monk who fell into sin and three of his brother monks wept. (I don't recall where I read it.)

The first wept because he himself was in the same sin and feared discovery or judgement.

The second wept because the sin was grievous to God.

The third wept because the sin was grievous to God and because of the damage it did to the sinner.


When I examine my own life I see so much of the bad fruit that comes from resentment against those for whom I ought to weep that I fear lest I do not even make a beginning of repentance. I have confessed over and over the symptoms of my malady but not yet gotten to the rotten core of the matter.
God help me.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

"There is nothing more grievous than he remembrance of injuries."

Ouch... but this how we keep track of who is the "us" and who is the "them." By what standard shall I make myself feel better now?




Excellent, excellent quote.

LifeSpark said...

It has been resounding in my psyche for days now.....It has a kind of salvific inevitability to it. Not in a predestined way....rather it is the kind of thing for which I know I must give an account.

Kassianni said...

"there is nothing more grievous than the remembrance of injuries."

this thought is scary. how easily we cling to our grievances.