Monday, February 12, 2007

On growing old

This is a recycled post. I liked it when I wrote it almost a year ago and I still do. I think it captures something of the ambiguity of our relationship to our physicality.
Something I like to think about as lent approaches.

The Body Remembers
River of youth's strength remembered cannot quench
Fiery accretion of the body's many small betrayals.

Yet the body carries as much of beauty as decay
Lines of laughter, strength of bearing, clarity of gaze
Born of resistance to meanness & joy in life's grandeur
Now the spirit, unbowed, shines ever more brightly,
In the time-polished mirror of its most ancient friend.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

This is wonderful! Thank you for posting it!

I love this... "Yet the body carries as much of beauty as decay
Lines of laughter, strength of bearing, clarity of gaze"

LifeSpark said...

Thanks Stacy,
Very glad you liked it. Without being pretentious, I like to think I was "under the influence" of George MacDonald when I wrote it. I'd been reading a lot of his stuff at the time.
V