Saturday, February 24, 2007

Living toward the Chalice

Presanctified yesterday. What an amazing service! My whole day yesterday seemed fraught with danger and hope toward it. Would I find myself lashing out sinfully at some imagined slight or would I navigate through this narrow passage toward the light of communion? By God's grace I made it to the Chalice. Yet as I reflect I suspect it is also because of my ignorance that I received communion. How much bitter pettiness and hidden sin did I bring to the Cup? Grant me to see my own transgressions Oh Lord....


O Lord and Master of my life
take from me the spirit of sloth
despair,lust of power
and idle talk.

But give rather the spirit of chastity,
humility,
patience,
and love to Your servant.

Yea, O Lord and King
grant me to see my own transgressions
and not to judge my brother or my sister
;

From the Lenten prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

though Fr. did tell me last fall that confession itself is not like the OT ... as in God knows we are still full of sin when we come to the chalice, but we have repented of what we knew...

i have a lot to learn about what this means however...

the prayer forgive me a sinner right now is quite meaningful...

LifeSpark said...

Yep. That's one of the great things about spiritual Frs. They can help us stay in a normal state of healthy repentance. Keeping us from both callous indifference to our sins and morbid obsessive introspection.